Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUV with the FX HO High Pressure Pump and impeller

Handyman,

Have you used the High Pressure pump that came on the FX HO models with the stock impeller from the FX HO 6B6-R1321-00-00 on a SUV. If so, what was the performance difference between the FX HO style and the SUV pumps with stock impeller (i.e. holeshot, top speed, etc.)?

I stripped the shaft in my 2000 SUV this past weekend and I have a pump, impeller, shaft, and nozzle from a FX HO. I was interested if I will lose or gain any performance with the HO pump and impeller? Have you ever put a repitched impeller on the HO pump for the SUV?

Thanks,
    mdavidthomas

2000 Yamaha SUV - bought May 2013 for $1500 with 280 hours stock engine, now 320 hours, (first triple carb rebuild, pump rebuild, trim cables, reconditioned impeller)
    2006 Yamaha FX HO Cruiser, bought May 2014 for $2850 with 77 hours on stock engine (trim cables, replaced pump with used pump, FX SHO ride plate)
    2003 Yamaha SUV - bought Aug. 2015 for $3400 with 20 hour SBT premium engine, 177 hours on ski (replaced reverse cable)

Re: SUV with the FX HO High Pressure Pump and impeller

I have used the high-pressure pump from the FX HO models on the SUV. I have not noticed any performance difference between the two pumps. If anything the SUV pump gives you a little more top-end speed.

Now if you stripped the shaft, before you just install a new Pump I would also replace the intermediate shaft. If you do not replace the interim intermediate shaft I would at least inspect it with a borescope or some other means to ensure the splines inside the intermediate shaft are still in good shape. If you do not you may run into the same problem shortly by stripping out another shaft. I always use a high-quality extreme pressure Molybdenum disulfide Grease on the splines of any pump shaft that I install.

The SUV conversion #4 that I just completed has a high pressure HO pump on it. The video of the test ride is here.
    http://www.gonejetskifishing.com/threads/191-Another-SUV-conversion-4-in-the-shop/page2
    2003 SUV conversion, 2005 FX HO engine, 30 gallon fuel tank, Lowrance HDS 7 GEN III
    I do custom Yamaha SUV conversions http://yamahasuvconversion.com
    http://www.gonejetskifishing.com 904-701-4FUN

Comment

Re: SUV with the FX HO High Pressure Pump and impeller

Thanks for the info. I am planning on installing a new midshaft. I'm sure it is damaged as well. I bought several tubes of the Yamaha Moly that was recommended in the manual and I have lubed it every time I have removed the pump. BTW, I am looking forward to your 1.8L build. I have two SUV's myself that I would like to put FX HO or 1.8L non-supercharged engine into soon.

Thanks again,
      mdavidthomas

2000 Yamaha SUV - bought May 2013 for $1500 with 280 hours stock engine, now 320 hours, (first triple carb rebuild, pump rebuild, trim cables, reconditioned impeller)
      2006 Yamaha FX HO Cruiser, bought May 2014 for $2850 with 77 hours on stock engine (trim cables, replaced pump with used pump, FX SHO ride plate)
      2003 Yamaha SUV - bought Aug. 2015 for $3400 with 20 hour SBT premium engine, 177 hours on ski (replaced reverse cable)

Comment

Working...
      X